[ProgSoc] [JobSoc] Technical Support Centre - Systems Server Engineer
stryker at progsoc.org
Fri Apr 11 10:11:03 EST 2008
Send me your resume if you're interested.
TSC Systems Server Engineer
A position within Systems TSC ANZO team, part of Systems TSC APAC.
A TSC Server Backline Engineer role supporting Sun's compute-server
product-line. Focus of the role is Sun's SPARC and CoolThreads Mid-Range
to High-End Server systems up to and including Mx000 (OPL) Systems.
Supporting Sun's local, regional and global customers.
Must have: Server/Hardware skills for support of MidRange and HighEnd
Sun SPARC Servers via support Tasks & engineering Escalations. Knowledge
of System-board and support-board Architecture, Systems Controllers
SC/SMS/XSCFU, and on-board Storage.
Knowledge of ASIC dump analysis for High End Servers would be desirable.
Knowledge of trouble-shooting methodologies such as Sun Global
Resolution (Kepner-Tregoe/ATS). Also, knowledge of SPARC Volume servers,
X64 systems, Solaris Internals (Kernel) and crash-dump analysis, would
be of additional benefit.
Core Job Description:
* Provides rapid resolution to customer technical problems through
application of system, product and source code expertise, via
Collaborations and Escalations.
* Creates and reviews formal and informal Knowledge assets.
* Primary interface to Product Engineering for technical product issues
and field product quality data.
* Communicate with and act as interface to the end-customer, where required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1. Accepts and validates incoming technical problems within response times.
2. Assesses nature & severity of problem.
3. Provides technical action plan to field, and set proper expectations.
4. Implements technical action plan.
5. Provides customer relief via work around or temporary fix.
6. Liaises with Product Engineering, Sales, Services and third party
personnel as required to ensure problem resolution.
7. Inputs and edits accurate technical and other relevant information
into Sun's case management tools, ensuring current status is recorded.
8. Responds to technical aliases and other knowledge sharing forums.
9. Creates and review formal and informal knowledge assets.
10. Provides technical comments to Sun's Product Development
Organisations regarding the reliability, availability and serviceability
via bugs/RFEs and product teams.
11. Mentors engineers in Sun Services customer facing organisations.
12. Attends customer site as required for critical situations.
13. Develops and test permanent solutions in conjunction with senior TSC
engineers and engineers from Sun's product sustaining groups.
14. Provides technical leadership to Sun Services through participation
in conferences, working groups and other knowledge sharing forums.
15. Participates in alpha, beta and early life product cycles as
required by the NPI process.
16. Investigates complex technical issues at the source code / protocol
* Sun Product/Systems and UNIX (Solaris) knowledge and expertise.
* Good analysis, troubleshooting and debugging skills; understands and
applies Sun Global Resolution methodology.
* Escalation/Task handling and prioritising.
* Teamwork and interpersonal communication.
* Good verbal and written communications skills.
* Understanding of the product sustaining process.
KNOWLEDGE CREATION AND MANAGEMENT
* Creation and review of formal Knowledge documents.
* Creation and maintenance of diagnostic tools.
* Creation and delivery of TOIs, admin/troubleshooting courses and
presentations on new and existing products and technology.
* Maintain Web Pages with product/technical information.
LEADERSHIP AND DECISION MAKING
* Able to work independently.
* Questions and evaluates issues that affect process and technical
* Recommends technical and process improvements.
* Responds with a clear and decisive action plan.
* Completes projects as directed.
* Sets and drives technical direction given ambiguous goals.
RESOURCEFULNESS AND CREATIVITY
* Proposes and implements effective solutions and work arounds.
* Adapts to surprises/events in a constructive manner.
* Thinks beyond the fix.
* Clearly articulates the closure criteria for complex technical issues.
* Provides clear, succinct and accurate technical information in a
timely manner to internal and external customers.
* Interacts across functional group boundaries to provide and review
* Summarises investigation activities from multiple groups.
* Builds contacts with a specific engineering group.
* Seeks and offers technical advice within and across functional group
* Identifies contacts for others.
* Collaborates across the organisation, group, and/or suppliers.
* Collaborates with peers and managers on technical or project issues.
* Works with others to drive long standing customer problems to resolution.
* Ability to diagnose complex technical issues in a multivendor
* Has the ability to technically evaluate problem complexity and severity.
* Demonstrates working knowledge of major system components and their
* Effectively troubleshoots and resolves problems.
* Demonstrates a speciality in at least one technical area.
* Reads and interprets source code / protocol traces and suggests fixes
in area of speciality.
* Reproduces multi product complex customer issues in a lab environment.
* Analysis of memory/register dumps.
* Bachelor's degree / Master's degree or equivalent training
* 4-7 years experience
More information about the Progsoc