[ProgSoc] hosting offerings - qos

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Thu Jul 2 20:03:59 EST 2009

 Howdi,

 Someone's just told me that the majority of hosting sites
 'out there' require you to have rwx permissions for world,
 if you want to be able to start writing to your own files ..
 because suphp, fakeroots, genuinely virtualised boxes etc
 are the rare exception and not the rule.

 I find this claim a bit .. odd.

 Are the majority of people who have their sites hosted
 somewhere really this exposed to either everyone else on
 their shared box?

 Since I don't host anything anywhere anymore (I love saying
 that) I'd just assumed that most of the world had caught up
 with where I was about 8 years ago.

 J.