[ProgSoc] TCP quiz. HELP!!!!

Bryn Davies curious.jp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 19:04:36 EST 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Noah O'Donoghue
<noah.odonoghue at gmail.com> wrote:
> If TCP sends packet for packet wouldn't that require nearly equal bandwidth
> each way? At least for small packets..

 I was always lousy at networks, but istr this is what the "sliding
window protocol" is for. The receiver nominates a window size and will
ack _at least_ once per windowsworth of data.

> From memory TCP sends ACK's that say along the lines of 'I have received all
> the blocks up to X point'

 Because this could cause problems where e.g. blocks 2-10 of ten
blocks are received coherently where block 1 is lost, I think this is
instead dealt with by something called a "SACK packet",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Selective_acknowledgments

 Cheers,
  B.

--