[ProgSoc] Laptop options

Thomas Given-Wilson sanguinev at niflheim.progsoc.uts.edu.au
Sat Dec 10 23:59:26 EST 2011

Hi ProgSoc,

I am in the market for a new laptop and thought I would
see if you guys had any advice/comments/thoughts that
might be helpful.

My main criteria:
- At least 1920x1080 ~15" (1920x1200 better) screen (matte preferred)
- i7 CPU, probably 2760 (2.4Gz) or better
- 8GB RAM or better/expandable beyond that
- Independent graphics card (decent but doesn't need to be great)
- Decent quality, I want something that will last 3+ years
- Good keyboard (feel/keys)
- Good battery life (3+ hours)

Other things I want/to consider:
- 150+GB SSD HDD (obviously this can be bought separately)
- 3+ year international warranty

So far the "best" I have found is a Lenovo Thinkpad T520,
details are:
- i7-2760/2.40Gz
- 8GB RAM
- nVidia NV S4200M 1GB graphics card
- 1920x1080 matte 15.6" screen
- 160GB SSD HDD
- 3 year warranty
I know from experience that Thinkpad keyboards are very nice
to type on and the battery life is pretty good (3-4 hours).
This is roughly $3100 and can be upgraded CPU wise (and
other less important things).

So does anyone know of anything better/comparable?
I have already looked at (and dismissed) Dell, Falcon,
Apple and Alienware. I also couldn't find any comparable
Toshiba or HP products on their websites.

- SanguineV

P.S. No PGP signature and slow responses as my old laptop
has (temporarily?) died (hence this thread of discussion).