[ProgSoc] Laptop options
sanguinev at niflheim.progsoc.uts.edu.au
Sat Dec 10 23:59:26 EST 2011
I am in the market for a new laptop and thought I would
see if you guys had any advice/comments/thoughts that
might be helpful.
My main criteria:
- At least 1920x1080 ~15" (1920x1200 better) screen (matte preferred)
- i7 CPU, probably 2760 (2.4Gz) or better
- 8GB RAM or better/expandable beyond that
- Independent graphics card (decent but doesn't need to be great)
- Decent quality, I want something that will last 3+ years
- Good keyboard (feel/keys)
- Good battery life (3+ hours)
Other things I want/to consider:
- 150+GB SSD HDD (obviously this can be bought separately)
- 3+ year international warranty
So far the "best" I have found is a Lenovo Thinkpad T520,
- 8GB RAM
- nVidia NV S4200M 1GB graphics card
- 1920x1080 matte 15.6" screen
- 160GB SSD HDD
- 3 year warranty
I know from experience that Thinkpad keyboards are very nice
to type on and the battery life is pretty good (3-4 hours).
This is roughly $3100 and can be upgraded CPU wise (and
other less important things).
So does anyone know of anything better/comparable?
I have already looked at (and dismissed) Dell, Falcon,
Apple and Alienware. I also couldn't find any comparable
Toshiba or HP products on their websites.
P.S. No PGP signature and slow responses as my old laptop
has (temporarily?) died (hence this thread of discussion).
More information about the Progsoc