[ProgSoc] Laptop options

Peter Dolkens peter.dolkens at ddrit.com
Sun Dec 11 02:20:55 EST 2011

My suggestion would be to go Asus, in particular, the G74.

You'll save about 1k, and I can guarantee the G74 will last 3 years unless
you drop kick it for a field goal, especially with Asus' default 2year
warranty.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18638&cPath=1255

It pretty much matches all your requirements, though the screen is larger
and gloss I believe:

Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2Ghz (Turbo 3.1G),
16GB (4GB x4) DDR3 1333 SODIMM SDRAM,
17.3" LED Full-HD (1920 x 1080),
3GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX560M,
1x 160GB SSD + 1x 750GB 7200RPM HDD,
Blu-Ray writer.
2 year limited hardware warranty,
1 year battery pack warranty.

I have owned pretty much exclusively Asus laptops for the last 6+ years,
and for damn good reason. My second laptop ever (I disassembled the first)
can still play Crysis today I'm sure, and only got decommissioned this year
because I swapped it out in favour of some smaller, cheaper models that
would draw less power for my always-on usage of it.

Asus has always had the best value for money on the market, and quite often
comes number 1 or 2 in reliability studies each year.

If you don't want to lug around 17", and are dedicated to 15", look at the
G53, or wait for the next model to come out (shouldn't take long) as you
seriously won't beat an Asus.

The inventory of laptops I maintain is outlined below.
As you can see, this year I have overhauled my inventory.
The 2 Asus laptops that I've decommissioned I'm looking at providing to my
family members.
They will quite happily run Skyrim, Rage, etc at medium settings I'm sure.

   *From* *To* *Model* *Status* *Cost*  2005 2008 Asus A2K Disassembled 2600
2007 2011 Asus G2SG Decomissioned (Replaced By U31F) 4500  2008 2011 Asus
M70SA Decomissioned (Replaced By U31SD) 3700  2009 2011 Asus M51VA Allan's
Laptop ????  2010 2011 Lenovo S10E Decomissioned (Replaced By U31F) 300
2010 2011 Asus G73JH Primary Gaming Laptop 2600  2010 2011 Asus X59SR Family
Laptop 900  2010 2011 Asus UL50VT Girlfriends Laptop 1100  2011 2011 Asus
U31F Domain Server / Web Server 700  2011 2011 Asus U31F Transcoding Server
/ iTunes Server 600  2011 2011 Asus U31F Ellie's Laptop 600  2011 2011 Asus
UL20FT Mothers Laptop 450  2011 2011 Asus U31SD Primary Laptop 900  2011
2011 Asus K53SC Emily's Laptop 600

I also have 3 friends who purchased a G73 after I received mine. James has
also been purchasing Asus laptops since he met me, for both himself and his
clients.

In fact, one of my friends was involved in a motorcycle accident a few
months ago, with his G73 on his back. It still works, though the chassis is
severely damaged after the accident.

I also put OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs in the 2 U31F servers and U31SD machine. They
currently boot to desktop in approx 8 seconds.

Cheers,
Pete