[ProgSoc] Laptop options

Thomas Given-Wilson sanguinev at niflheim.progsoc.uts.edu.au
Sun Dec 11 12:42:02 EST 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 02:20:55AM +1100, Peter Dolkens wrote:
> My suggestion would be to go Asus, in particular, the G74.
>
> You'll save about 1k, and I can guarantee the G74 will last 3 years unless
> you drop kick it for a field goal, especially with Asus' default 2year
> warranty.
>
> http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18638&cPath=1255
>

> It pretty much matches all your requirements, though the screen is larger
> and gloss I believe:

The specs are pretty decent, but I ended up looking at the G53 series as
I am very much interested in a ~15" model. (I cannot seem to find any
more 1920x1200 15.4" systems, but those are perfect. I am looking for
compact size and high density resolution, not large physical size as
I can always plug in an external monitor for that.)

> I have owned pretty much exclusively Asus laptops for the last 6+ years,
> and for damn good reason. My second laptop ever (I disassembled the first)
> can still play Crysis today I'm sure, and only got decommissioned this year
> because I swapped it out in favour of some smaller, cheaper models that
> would draw less power for my always-on usage of it.
>
> Asus has always had the best value for money on the market, and quite often
> comes number 1 or 2 in reliability studies each year.

Good to know where they stand on reliability. I have been a big fan of
Thinkpads with my last one dying to an nVidia manufactoring fault in
the GPU (i.e. everything else is still in excellent condition).

> If you don't want to lug around 17", and are dedicated to 15", look at the
> G53, or wait for the next model to come out (shouldn't take long) as you
> seriously won't beat an Asus.

Seems to be the wrong time in the Asus product cycle right now, the G53
is looking a bit old and I can't see the next 15" model anywhere yet. :(

> Cheers,
> Pete

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind and keep doing research. :)

- SanguineV