[ProgSoc] Excellent little programming/hardware demos for O-day, so come to the Progsoc room today
marauder at marauder.net.au
Thu Feb 3 00:25:09 EST 2011
On 31/01/2011, at 2:24 PM, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:14 AM, marauder <marauder at marauder.net.au> wrote:
>> 5. Registration-taker
>> Not a psych thing, just a thing. I'm writing one in Django so people can scan the barcodes on student cards/Union cards, take signups and renewals, and spit out receipts. It would take someone who knew Django about half an hour to bang this out, but I don't know Django and I've spent 8 hours to get maybe 1/3 of the way. If anyone wants to school me a bit it would be hugely appreciated.
> I'd be happy to help with this, what are the git details?
Justin Steward wrote the main lump, I tinkered a bit until it has the workflow I think I want. It's now at a stage where other people can help, without me having to be right there saying 'this is what I meant!' There are probably lots of things I haven't done in the Djangoest way.
Still to do:
- straighten out my efforts into better Django
- membership receipts, as HTML
- membership receipts, as PDFs auto-saved to filesystem
- a thing that watches for saved PDFs and feeds them to the printer (this isn't complete overkill, I think I need auto printing for the other projects too)
- a tally on the front page of total number of members, and number who have renewed
- sexier CSS. Actually I quite like the Gitorious look, which is why I 'took inspiration' from it a bit. Theirs seems to involve thousands of lines of CSS, do people write all that stuff manually?
More information about the Progsoc