[ProgSoc] Getting ipsec-tools to work between Ubuntu Lucid hosts

John Elliot jj5 at jj5.net
Fri Jul 29 08:18:35 EST 2011

On 29/07/2011 8:08 AM, Nigel Sheridan-Smith wrote:
> Could be MSS / MTU related, if small packets get through, but large ones do
> not...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_segment_size
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

I doubt the packets that establish an SSH session are particularly
large, are they? I'm not sure what the MSS/MTU values are on my system,
but each system is running an identical version of the OS (Ubuntu Lucid)
on identical hardware, so they should be using the same settings.

Tried HTTP (small packet), and get same hanging problem:

root at hope:~# wget http://charity.progclub.org/pc/Main_Page
--2011-07-28 22:16:36--  http://charity.progclub.org/pc/Main_Page
Resolving charity.progclub.org... 67.207.128.184
Connecting to charity.progclub.org|67.207.128.184|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

What I don't get is how SSH and Wget are reporting 'connected' and
*then* hanging.