[ProgSoc] AGM Reminder -- 29th March (this Thursday)

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Fri Mar 23 21:06:34 EST 2012

A reminder that the ProgSoc AGM is on
this Thursday, the 29th of March (six more sleeps at time of writing!)
starting at 1830 sharp
and taking place in the FEIT Board Room (CB10.03.290), as per previous years,
and that there will be food.

I would like to draw your attention to
http://progsoc.org/wiki/AGM_20120329 :-

As you can see, we have just one candidate nominated/seconded/accepted for
each Executive role at this time, meaning that if there are no further
nominations, this year's election will be a complete walkover and thus,
each candidate will be elected unopposed (this has happened before in
2000[*] and 2001[**]). Now, personally, I wouldn't mind if it was a
walkover, as I approve each and every candidate thus far nominated and
therefore will not nominate/second any other candidates myself. But maybe
you might have someone else in mind for a particular role, in which case,
feel free to send your nomination to progsoc at progsoc.org or you may
nominate in person at the AGM, as usual.

A reminder of the voting procedure. Votes shall be cast in person at the
AGM by the clear and unambiguous raising of a single hand well above
shoulder level -- raise your hand for a single candidate per role, please!

If there is just one candidate for a given role, then they are elected to
that role unopposed, otherwise a candidate shall be elected by simple
majority (at least 50% of the membership present casting a vote, plus one
more).

In the event of there being three or more candidates and, if after the
first round of voting a simple majority has not been achieved, then the
candidate with the least amount of votes shall be eliminated and another
round of voting will be called for with only the remaining candidates to be
considered. If this does not yield a simple majority, then the above
procedure shall be repeated until there is a clear victor.

If you do not wish to vote, you may abstain by not raising a hand. In
reckoning a simple majority, your abstention will not be counted towards
the total vote.

Absentee votes will not be permitted, as this would be unfair on those
people not present, especially since the nomination of further candidates
will be allowed at the AGM, so it would be in your best interests to be
present at the AGM!

You may, however, nominate a proxy to vote on your behalf, if you are
unable to be present. Please send your proxy nomination to
psexec at progsoc.org (and ask permission from your proxy beforehand, of
course). Votes by proxies shall be given extra weight in reckoning of the
vote e.g. if a member is proxy voting on behalf of one other person, then
their vote shall be counted as two (2) votes.

Also, to be eligible to run as a candidate and be elected, and also to vote
at the AGM, you will need to have paid your membership for this year (this
*includes* our "Emeritus Presidents"). Records will be checked at the AGM
for this (also, I've got a pretty good memory of who has paid and who
hasn't ;) Pay online or on the day before the start of the AGM (ideally not
during -- best not to interrupt proceedings!). The ProgSoc room will be
open from 1700 to 1830 on the day for this purpose.

I would also like to remind you that the quorum for the AGM is:

7.2.2 (...) fifty percent (50%) of members entitled to vote or twenty (20)
members entitled to vote whichever is lesser.

Since, at time of writing, we have 51 financial members this year, the
quorum shall therefore be 20. If we are to follow correct meeting procedure
and if it is determined at the advertised starting time that we don't have
quorum, then the only valid motion that can be made at the meeting would be
to adjourn the meeting to a later time (e.g. we do not commence the meeting
until we have quorum), so it is really important that as many of you come
as possible!

Finally, you will notice the agenda for the meeting on
http://progsoc.org/wiki/AGM_20120329 . If there is something else you wish
to bring up, feel free to add it to the agenda now.

Hope to you see you all there!

Tom

[*] http://progsoc.org/wiki/List_of_Executive_members_by_year#2000_.28XII.29

[**]