[ProgSoc] Executive Nomination

Peter Revelant peter.revelant at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:59:15 EST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 13:44, James Ducker <jducker at it.uts.edu.au> wrote:
> more attention should be paid to the social aspects of the club. You need people who will very pro-actively promote the
> club and draw in new members, which is really the prime directive of any
> club. If we fail on that the club quickly stagnates and goes dormant,

Hear, hear! I would add that paying attention to the social aspects of
the club would not only draw in new members, but activate them as
well. I fear that quite a few signees are not participating as much as
we or they would like. Over the last month, several students came to
the room to sign up. Typically, their eyes would light up and say
"Look at all the cool gear" or "Wow, we have our own room!". Their
next question would be "how do we get access?" Upon receiving the
answer "Thursday 6-9pm", their faces would drop. "But I have a class
at that time" (they were skipping out of class to sign up). As James
suggests, more events and increased open hours would increase social
interaction and the value of ProgSoc membership to all.

Regardless of whether I am elected to the executive, if I can become a
keyholder, I will open the room from 2pm to 5.30pm on Thursdays,
dovetailing with the regular meeting time. Unfortunately, I too have
mostly night classes, so that won't help James who works daytime and
has a clash on Thursday night. Perhaps other keyholders could
volunteer to open the room at another time, either on a regular basis,
or on an ad hoc basis with prior notice given on the progsoc members
list.

In any case, I hope we can find a way for James and other members to
participate more, despite their varied commitments.

Peter