[ProgSoc] AGM 2016 Announcement

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Fri Oct 14 20:09:54 AEDT 2016

Hi Exec/All,

Item 4 on the agenda is of interest:

 > 4. Constitution[1] Amendments

I'm just wondering if any proposals for amendments have been received by
the Secretary in the last week or so. Bearing in mind the 21-day window
for receiving amendment proposals to voting on said proposals as
mandated in section 8.2[2]. Remember also the requirement for
broadcasting said proposals within seven days of them being voted upon
as outlined in the aforementioned section.

Typically, we announce the AGM at least three weeks before the date,
mostly so we can vote upon any proposed amendments at the AGM, rather
than call another SGM for that purpose. Also, traditionally, we held it
on the last Thursday of the month (which I see you have revived --
thanks!), so everyone knew when it was time to submit proposals.

I note that the AGM was called with only two weeks notice. This does not
necessarily preclude amendments from being voted upon at the AGM,
provided the other Section 8[3] conditions are met. But it might not
necessarily be fair and equitable for the membership who want to put
forward their amendment proposal(s) but are unable to have them voted
upon in time for the AGM. Note also that ad hoc amendment proposals can
not be both made and voted upon at a General Meeting.

Peace and programming,

Tom

[1] https://progsoc.org/wiki?title=Constitution&oldid=5420

[2] ibid.