[ProgSoc] Progsoc: what do we provide of value?

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Mon Sep 4 21:54:16 AEST 2017

On 04/09/17 18:07, Bryn Davies wrote:

> I'm physically distant now (Melbourne) and
> also sure I'm overdue in membership payments / have my account locked at
> the moment.

Wish I could unlock your account, although it appears that with the
recent migration, LDAP is no longer configured as expected.

Truth be told, it was a unilateral decision on my part when I was
President to re-enforce an Account Locking Policy[1] that already
existed. I announced my intentions publicly, of course, but no-one
opposed me[2], so I did an audit of all the accounts and -- with my
nifty locking script -- locked the accounts of everyone that hadn't paid
their membership.

I had the best of intentions. Back then, I was against corporate
sponsorships. I didn't like being beholden to the whims of some faceless
corporate conglomerate telling ProgSoc how to spend the money they had
given us. I believed that we could, and should, be self-funding and
self-reliant, without any external support. This Juche-esque attitude
was the rationale behind locking accounts. My intended effects were
two-fold: revenue raising and also to engage past and current members.

I have since learned that my fears were unfounded. Corporate
sponsorships are invaluable for both club and company. Apart from the
industry connections forged, said sponsorships enable us to host
top-quality events. Our ProgComps and hackathon would not have been
anywhere near as good without sponsors. Besides, ProgSoc has had
long-standing arrangements over the years with many companies (e.g. the
now-defunct, aforementioned Sun and, more recently, my employer).

Nowadays, locking the accounts is kind of silly and pointless, since
no-one uses the ProgSoc infrastructure. So, if I could, I would just
unlock everyone's accounts. That is, if it's OK with everyone...

 > I think a great first society project would be an automatic
 > notification
 > of dues expiry and some tool to let me calculate my progsoc back
 > taxes. *blush*

You know, I had started work on a Rails-based registration and account
management system years ago. It was an excuse to try out Rails, really.
It never got finished, unfortunately.

 > p.s. In related news, I'm sure some of you saw this progsoc historical
 > related news today:
 > https://www.itwire.com/open-sauce/79738-bye,-bye-solaris,-it-was-
 > a-nice-ride-while-it-lasted.html

:'(

I guess if you really still need future Solaris support, there is illumos...

Tom

[1] http://progsoc.org/wiki/Account_Locking_Policy

[2] Well, John Elliot did, but that was months after I had done it. We
had a temporary falling out as a result. We have long since reconciled.
This was the catalyst for ProgClub (http://www.progclub.org)