[ProgSoc] Changes to Fee Structure & Registration Process

Roland Turner roland at rolandturner.com
Wed Feb 28 22:20:37 AEDT 2018

Hi Brenton,

Thanks for the update, I'm perfectly happy to pay the higher amount and
suspect that at least some other alumni members will feel the same.

For context, I'd point out that the differential charging between Union
members and others (or even Union members who elected not to provide a
student number) was part of the deal from the outset. I can't recall
whether we were obliged, but it certainly seemed reasonable to charge
non-Union-members a premium equal to the 1:1 membership fee matching
payment that the Union was providing for Union members. At the time
matching was limited to $5, so we set membership at $5. (I suspect that
the actual deal that we were doing in the early years was something like
offering TFM for $5 if you joined at purchase, or $10 otherwise. I don't
recall exactly. And yes, even back then, there were some privacy
sensitive individuals who - despite being Union members - preferred
paying $10 to paying $5 and disclosing their name and student number to
us.) Note that purchasing power has roughly halved since 1989, so $5 for
Activate members is about half of what it was, while $25 for others is
only slightly above what it was.

The fact that the $20 is a nominal amount allocated against the grants
etc. fund (which is to say, the popularity contest which is used to
allocate discretionary funds to clubs) rather than membership fee
matching is rather unfortunate, but points back to one of the
motivations for founding ProgSoc as a Union-affiliated club in the first
place: outrage at the use of mandatory Union fees (IIRC: ~$300/semester
at the time, or about 4* the current $149 in real terms) to purchase a
yacht. I look forward to hearing what grant(s) the club is successful in
landing this year :-)

- Raz